As busy as I am, and I’m sure all you are too :), I wanted to get a Happy Thanksgiving out to everyone. We all have our different trials and temptations, but through it all our blessings outnumber them by a long shot! So just remember to stop for a few minutes over the weekend and give thanks to our Heavenly Father for all we are, have, and will be.
We do live far beyond what even the kings of biblical times enjoyed!! I love the first Thanksgiving story. “The Light and the Glory” by Peter Marshall and David Manuel describes the full account wonderfully. The life story of Squanto is one example of God’s divine watchcare of those who seek righteousness.
For our holiday dinner at my mother-in-laws home, I am bringing several things:
Pies: Coconut Cream – check
Banana Cream – check
Strawberry – check
Pumpkin – check
Side Dishes: Sweet Tater Casserole – (YUM) – check
Vegetable Tray – check
Cranberry Sauce – check
Guess I’m ready for our Thanksgiving Feast!! This is the first time in a while I have not hosted the dinner, so I am really feeling super-duper.
Some trivia for ya:
- Who was Captain of the Mayflower? a) William Bradford, b) John Smith, c) Christopher Jones, d) Miles Standish
- What Indian tribe joined the Pilgrims on the first Thanksgiving? a) Paxtutis, b) Wampanoag, c) Huron, d) None of these
- What was the name of the chief of this Indian tribe? a)Massasoit, b) Pemaquid, c) Samoset, d) Sqanto
- True/False Thanksgiving is celebrated only in America.
- The first department store to have a Thanksgiving Day Parade was? a) Montgomery Ward, b) JC Penney, c) Macy’s, d) Gimbel’s, e) none of these
- Each year the President pardons a turkey and it goes to a public farm called the Frying Pan, in Herndon, Va. Which president is believed to be the first to pardon a turkey to start this tradition? a) Andrew Jackson, b) Millard Fillmore, c) Harry S. Truman, d) Warren Harding
- Why is Thanksgiving always observed on a Thursday? a) The Pilgrims felt it was sacrilegious to have a party on the holy Sabbath Day Sunday, b) It took a lot of time and work to prepare and by Thursday they were done and had to eat before spoilage set in, c) the Pilgrims went to church twice a week, Sundays and Thursdays for mid-week prayer service. They wanted the mid-week prayer day as a day of thanksgiving.
- When did Thanksgiving become a national holiday? a) 1621. b) 1863, c) 1920, d) 1945
- Thanksgiving became a holiday thanks to this woman who wrote hundreds of hand written letters to congress and the president. a) Sarah Hale, b) Sarah Parker, c) Sarah Bradford, d) Sarah Standish
- How many days was the first Thanksgiving? a) 1, b) 2, c) 3, d)4
- How many women survived to celebrate the first Thanksgiving? a) 5, b) 7, c) 9, d) 12
- True/False Ben Franklin proposed that the turkey should be the United States National Bird.
- True/False The first meal eaten on the moon by the Apollo 11 crew was turkey.
- Which of these foods would NOT have been on the first Thanksgiving table: beans, cranberries, beef, pumpkin, turkey, salmon, pomegranate.
Ok how’d ya do???? Here are the answers:
- C – Christopher Jones
- B – Wampanoag
- A – Massasoit
- D – Gimbel’s
- C – Harry S. Truman
- B – 1863
- A – Sarah Hale
- C – three
- A – five Can you imagine all the work they had to do to prepare a feast?
- Beef and Pomegranate were not at the first Thanksgiving
HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!!!!!!!! And happy feasting.
Love life & breathe deep,